Comanche Academy Founding Principal
About Comanche Academy
Comanche Academy (CA) will utilize a dual-language instructional format and is a place-based elementary school where the Comanche (Numunu) culture, language, and history are the foundation of an experiential curriculum. Using both English and Comanche to instruct students in all core content areas, students will develop high levels of bilingualism and biliteracy, and an understanding of Comanche culture. CA employees are a critical part in providing powerful new options for the way children are educated. In CA’s inaugural school year 2021-2022, CA will serve a total of 120 students in grades PreK-1st and grow one grade each year.
Comanche Academy is seeking a School Principal to be responsible for the organization and operation of the school within the framework of the policies and procedures of CA, state, and federal law. The principal shall utilize leadership, supervision, and administrative skills to promote the maximum educational development of each student.
The Principal will provide leadership and administration which will motivate instructional and support personnel to strive for superior performance so as to provide the best possible opportunities for student growth and development, both educationally and personally.
The founding principal shall report directly to the Board of Directors. S/he will work especially closely with the Founding Board, Design Team and Facilitator during the school’s start-up year.
Qualifications and Traits
Candidates must have:
• Master’s Degree from an accredited institution.
• Oklahoma Principal Credential required. Superintendents certification is a plus, but not required.
• Experience working with dual language programs and WIDA/ACCESS
• Experience working in a mixed socio-economic school (SES) preferred.
• Experience with OCAS is a plus, but not required
• Strong background in curriculum, supervision, discipline, team building, and technology
• Experience working in Native communities, especially in education, is required
• Proven ability to motivate staff and students to achieve excellence
• Strong knowledge of core content standards, as well as instructional and assessment practices that incorporate the use of data and research-based strategies and methodologies.
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff members and administration as well as build strong relationships with students, staff, parents, and community
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
The Principal must:
• Be aligned with the philosophy and mission of the school and organization.
• Have an entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities.
• Possess strong leadership, team management and community building skills.
• Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Be organized and self-managed, and be able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
• Have excellent problem-solving skills.
• Possess excellent learning orientation and willingness to lead a learning organization. (people who have all the answers and solutions need not apply)
• Recruits staff efficiently and effectively. Utilizes available resources and conducts thorough reference checks to assure candidates selected meet the needs of the CA
• Oversee faculty and staff, evaluation, retention, and dismissal and hold primary responsibility for professional development, staff observations, curriculum development, staff communication, and program decisions
• Coach teachers in strategies for effective instructional delivery, modeling outstanding instruction and ensures dual language instructional development
• Observe lessons regularly and deliver targeted feedback, developing plans for teacher improvement
• Collaborate with teachers to plan units, lessons, and assessments, facilitating data-driven instruction cycles
• Design professional development calendar and implement effective, relevant, and differentiated PD sessions
• Foster commitment among staff to the development and fulfillment of the school’s mission and objectives
• Deliver a quality curriculum that meets students’ needs, aligns with the Common Core, utilizes a dual language instructional format, and meets state standards
• Coordinate testing of students with the WIDA/ACCESS on an annual basis
• Work with school leaders to analyze school data in order to improve instruction and curriculum, overseeing student assessment and measuring progress on a regular basis
Provide day-to-day leadership across the school community.
• Manage and/or oversee all daily school operations, including student admissions and discipline, facilities, food service, front office, school scheduling, etc.
• Skilled in selecting and leveraging different communication tools (e.g. face-to-face, newsletters, social media) to help shape a narrative and deliver clear messages
• Strengthens teacher and staff capacity to cultivate and sustain meaningful partnerships with families of diverse backgrounds and with community members that support student achievement and student well-being
• Establishes two-way communication tools for parents in their respective languages
• Provide leadership to all staff and students in establishing a positive, structured, and achievement-oriented school culture
• Be highly present and visible during school hours relentlessly ensuring a positive school environment and modeling and enforcing strategies to maximize student time on task.
• Be a visible and highly engaged leader in the school community
• Enforces compulsory attendance laws
• Actively participate in educational associations
• Develop diverse streams of funding through active participation with local, State, National, and Native American Nations
• Develop a plan to provide comprehensive and rigorous curricular and instructional programs that utilize research-supported best practices in instruction and assessment to promote success for all.
Compensation & Benefits
CA offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. CA will be a 501(c)(3) organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact & Timeline
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Facilitator Phyllis Narcomey for information on this role prior to applying, she can be reached at: [email protected]. To apply for consideration, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the email subject line title: “CA Founding Principal Application.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Closing Date is April 14, 2020, 5:00 pm CST.